Ms. Leite

Ms. Leite

Jennifer Leite is an English teacher at Golden Valley High School. She teaches Advanced Placement Literature and Composition and serves as one of the ASB directors. This is her tenth year teaching as well as her tenth year teaching at GV. She started to teach at GV right out of college “…and has never wanted to teach at any other school.”
One cannot help but notice the wall of windows facing lower campus in her classroom. Decorating the cabinets on her walls are student drawings of pop culture’s interpretation of Frankenstein, neck bolts and all. She also has several motivational posters to help encourage students to do their assigned reading.
According to Mrs. Leite, her favorite part of teaching is “Interacting with students! I especially like helping senior students through the college application process.” As for her least favorite part of teaching, it was an easy decision on her part. “Grading essays. I believe that it’s important to give detailed feedback so that students can learn from their mistakes, but I’m a slow grader and it just takes forever.” Her favorite topic to teach is “…The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan because we always have such good conversations about culture and families, but nothing beats Shakespeare. I love getting students on their feet to act out stories that seem disconnected from today’s world but actually share a lot more than students initially expect.”
As for her weekends, Mrs. Leite said, “An “average” weekend isn’t that exciting: chores on Saturday and church on Sunday. If I actually manage to do my cleaning and laundry during the week (while keeping up on my grading and planning…you can imagine that this doesn’t happen very often), I’d rather spend Saturday hiking near the beach!” As a self-proclaimed “literature nerd,” she would love to travel to “…Ireland and the UK. I studied abroad in England, but didn’t get a chance to visit places like Bath (Jane Austen!), Dublin (James Joyce!), or the Lake District (Wordsworth! Coleridge!).”
When asked about her favorite hobbies, Mrs. Leite explained that “It’s hard to pick a favorite, but I love reading, cooking, and yoga.”
As for any unusual abilities she may have, she stated, “I have a semi-photographic memory, especially for things like student handwriting, so I can almost always identify no-name papers. It’s not very interesting, but it’s a useful skill for a teacher.”
Mrs. Leite said that she would like to tell the student body “Don’t choose your path in life based on what your friends are doing, what other people “expect” you to do, or what you think is the “safe” or “practical” choice. Instead, think about what you love and what you hope to contribute to the world, and build from there.”