The Kennedy Curse

The Kennedy Curse

The Kennedy family curse is a series of deaths, accidents, and other calamities that have occurred to the Kennedy family: Joseph Kennedy Sr. and his wife Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy whose descendants faced untimely deaths, disappearances, and other tragic occurrences. These deaths have stirred questions and theories from many. How could a family line endure so much and continue to do so? Below is a timeline of the tragic Kennedy deaths, accidents, assassinations, and other unfortunate occurrences.

August 12, 1944 – Joseph P. Kennedy Jr, the eldest brother of JFK, died when his bomber aircraft exploded over Suffolk during the second world war. Joseph was on a top-secret operation called Aphrodite and sent to direct explosives over a german V-2 rocket launching site. The explosives detonated prematurely while the aircraft was still in flight, killing Joseph. His death was commemorated with the Air Medal and Navy Cross for heroism.

Kathleen Cavendish
Kathleen Cavendish was sister to John P. Kennedy. Only four months after her older brother Joseph (“Joe”) died in a plane explosion, Kathleen’s husband William Cavendish (who was in the British army) was shot through the heart by a German sniper. Kathleen later started another relationship (It was scandalous. He was married and in the process of divorcing) and was on her way to travel to her parents in France when storms caused her plane to crash. Only her father was at her funeral.

President John F. Kennedy
Born: May 29, 1917
Died: November 22, 1963
President John F. Kennedy was assassinated as he rode in a convertible through Dallas, Texas. His killer was Lee Harvey Oswald who was found two days later, gunned down by a local nightclub owner.

Ted Edward Kennedy
Born: February 22,1932
Died: August 25, 2009
Senator Ted Edward Kennedy, brother to JFK, was one of the Kennedy’s who was in an accident and survived. He was on a campaign flight from Washington to Massachusetts when the plane crashed. The pilot and a legislative aide got killed and Kennedy suffered a broken back and ribs. Federal investigators blamed the crash on pilot error. Mary Jo Kopechne was one of the passengers that had a fatal death. Ted Kennedy was later diagnosed with cancer and died on August 25, 2009. Furthermore, Ted’s misfortunes indicate that not only was he nearly killed in a plane accident, but the “Kennedy curse” as some would believe returned.

Robert F. Kennedy
Born: November 20, 1925
Died: June 6, 1968
President John F. Kennedy’s younger brother, Robert F. Kennedy, Attorney General of the United States was assassinated after winning the California Democratic primary. Robert was shot in his hotel several times and died at 42 years old. The killer Sirhan Sirhan remains in prison in California. Many believed Robert was on his way to having a promising presidential administration, it was over before it began.

David A. Kennedy
Born: June 15, 1955
Died: April 25, 1984
Son of Robert F. Kennedy, David A. Kennedy was found dead in a Florida hotel room on April 25, 1984. He had overdosed on cocaine, painkillers, and other anti-psychotic medicine. David had previously suffered heroin and alcohol addiction. David had a troubled upbringing, says family, at the age of the 13 he discovered (alone and on television reports say) his father had gotten assassinated. The tragedy of discovering his father’s untimely death brought him many troubles as years went on.

Michael L. Kennedy
Born: February 27, 1958
Died: December 31, 1997
Michael L. Kennedy, on December 31st, 1997, got killed in a skiing accident in Colorado. He was 39 years old and was playing football when he fatally crashed into a tree.

John F. Kennedy Jr. (“John-John)
Born: November 25, 1960
Died: July 16, 1999
On July 16, 1999, John F. Kennedy Jr., son of President John F. Kennedy, died while flying his light aircraft to the holiday island of Martha’s Vineyard. Reports say he became disoriented during the night flight that led him to crash into the ocean. His wife and sister perished in the crash as well.

Mary Kennedy
Born: October 4th, 1959
Died: May 16th, 2012
Mary Kennedy, an estranged wife to Robert F. Kennedy Jr., was found dead reportedly hanging herself in her New York home. Mary was an architect known for her philanthropy, and had reportedly been struggling with drug and alcohol addiction. Her spouse Robert F. Kennedy Jr. had filed for divorce in 2010 and was still pending at the time of her death. After months of their known separation, Mary got arrested twice for DUI’s.

Saoirse R. Kennedy Hill
Born: May 22, 1997
Died: August 1, 2019
Granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy, Saoirse, on August 1, 2019, died of an apparent overdose at their family compound in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts. Only 22 years old, Saoirse left the Kennedy family shattered. Saoirse had written in an issue in the school newspaper at Boston University, she wrote of her struggles with depression and mental illness.

Maeve Kennedy Townshend Mckean & Gideon
Born: November 1, 1979
Died: April 2, 2020
Maeve Kennedy Townshend Mckean’s granddaughter to Robert F. Kennedy and her son Gideon had disappeared on a Kayak trip and was confirmed deceased on April 2, 2020.