Remembering Saugus

Remembering+Saugus

Marking one year since a student opened fire at Saugus High School, the community came together Saturday for a virtual remembrance event. “On November 14, 2019 at 7:38 am, an incident happened that had changed the lives of Santa Clarita Valley. A shooting had occurred at Saugus High School which took the precious lives of Gracie Anne Muehlberger, 15 and Dominic Blackwell, 14. Three other teenagers were also wounded before the 16 – year old shooter turned the gun on himself,” (Ktla.com).

A memorial was held at Central park which is right next Saugus, “The park served as the reunification point for Saugus High students and their families on the day of the shooting,” said Jade Aubuchon (KHTS.com). City News Services stated, “The Saugus Community has been remembering the tragedy while trying to heal amid the Covid -19 pandemic during a Wellness Week dubbed Unity of Community. Those activities will be capped tonight with a virtual memorial starting at 6 p.m on Saturday, November 14 featuring speakers, music, and other remembrances that will be streamed on YouTube,” (NBCLosAngeles.com).

Dave Caldwell, who is with the Hart School District, gave his input on the memorial by stating, “This has been an extremely difficult year but once again we’re showing that Santa Clarita all comes together and unites,” (FoxLa.com). This form of unity that Caldwell is talking about includes “the Blackwell and Muehlberger families, friends, teachers, and students from both Saugus High and the other 16 schools in the district all united,” (FoxLa.com).