College Admissions Testing?

College Admissions Testing?

On December 10, 2019 anti-testing advocacy groups have sued the University of California system in Alameda County Superior Court to drop requirements to submit SAT and ACT scores to universities according to Lauren Camera USNews.com

Six advocacy groups: College Access Plan, Little Manila Rising, Dolores Huerta Foundation, College Seekers, and Chinese for Affirmative Action and Community Coalition, settled two lawsuits arguing that submitting test scores is “…illegal, unconstitutional and discriminatory” per USNews.com.

Discriminates against basis of race, wealth, and disability and denies students equal protection under the California Constitution. The use of these standardized tests have lead to a vast test-prep industry. Privileged families can afford the prep classes and private tutoring according to Anemona Hartocollis of the New York Times.

Kawika Smith a senior at Verbum Di high school stated his test results had him reconsider his dream colleges and focus on East Coast schools instead. A GPA of 3.56 and free Khan Academy test prep courses were not enough. Smith’s personal life was not reflected by the results; those being, having been raped, being homeless, and having experienced the death of his brother as stated by Felicia Mello CALMATTERS.com.

Around 1,000 four year colleges and universities have changed their requirements to submit SAT and ACT scores as part of college submissions. A rising number of schools in the last year have endeavored to explore wider ways of making admissions more equitable. Grades and teacher recommendations-would provide a fairer way of judging students according to the NewYorkTimes.com.

University of Chicago, top-rank school, as of last year has dropped the standardized test requirement and the class of 2019-2020 have had a 24 percent increase of first generation and low income students followed by a 56 percent representation of rural students as stated by CALMATTERS.com

The College Board has called the claim of being “discriminatory” false.

Jerome White, a spokesperson for the board, stated, “Any objective measure of student achievement will shine a light on inequalities in our education system.” The college board has redesigned and improved the test, to “improve college readiness and break down barriers to college.”

“It is inappropriate to blame admissions testing for inequities in society,” the ACT organization said in a statement. “Differences in test scores expose issues that need to be fixed in our educational system.” If successful, the suit will only affect University of California admissions, but could reach beyond border as reported by Erin Einhorn of NBCNews.com.