I Chose to Join the Army Reserves in High School

The students at Golden Valley live a normal teenage life with homework, friends and their phones. Some students may believe that everyone on campus have the same life, but they would be interested to know some live a little differently like wearing camo uniforms and the red, white, and blue flag on their right shoulder.

On January 2, 2019, at the age of 17, I made the decision to enlist in the United States Army Reserves under a split program which allowed me to complete basic training during the summer before the start of my senior year. Now at 18 years old and a Private, I work a part time job at the 137 Quartermaster Company in El Monte, California.

The reason why I chose to join the armed forces is a mix of; fulfilling a childhood dream with the motivation of being the first person in my family to join and the opportunity to join the ROTC program in college. Some people believe that once a civilian turned into a soldier their lives change, but my life has not. I do see life more pleasant and valuable because going through the training helped me develop. I don’t stress about school for I know what real stress is like now. Some days we had 3 or 4 hours of sleep and we were on our feet for 12 to 14 hours with every hour filled with tasks.

It was a change of life for me, but it did not change the way people treat me. They do ask me what certain things were like, but they still treat me as the same Marian. Being a soldier is not an excuse to see myself as a superior person, but only to be a better citizen.

Every student in their last year of high school is looking for scholarships and financial aid for college. The military offers benefits with the G.I bill, yellow ribbon and ROTC. I am applying to colleges that have Army ROTC so I can switch from green to gold and commission as an officer.The military is one of the biggest employers, but with only a 1% of the American population employed. To any juniors and seniors looking for a career start, financial aid and to make money. My advice is to join if you would like to. It is not difficult to pass by striving past your limits and it gets easy. Also to people who are not interested in the same thing. Live your life as you want in uniform or not. Do what you love and live life in the right way.