Tragedy Resulting in Change

Tragedy Resulting in Change

On November 14th 2019, tragedy struck the Santa Clarita Valley with the loss of three minors in a school shooting at Saugus High School. The Valley has mourned together; a unity has spread; and life here is no longer the same. All schools in the district have come up with an updated safety plan. Campus security, lockdown protocols, and mental health professionals have been updated.
School Resource Officers, also known as SRO’s, have been placed on each campus to assure safety and comfort to students. Their role is not only to be there in case of an emergency situation, but also to form relationships to students on campus and to assist staff in exigent cases. If an emergency arises, the sheriff’s department will be alerted promptly and will be on campus within minutes.
Campus’ are to hold two annual lockdown drills. Lockdown drills are a set of procedures designed to have the occupants in a building to familiarize themselves with ways to protect themselves against a threat, such as an armed intruder. Along with that, the SCV Sheriff’s Department will use the district’s campuses for a yearly “Active Shooter” training for their deputies.
The week after the incident, mental health professionals were on campus to assist students with adjusting and healing after the terror. All district schools will still have a psychologist on campus as they have employed a full team for any student in need of someone to talk to.
The William S. Hart Union High School District has made changes to the safety plan for every school in the district. Ensuring students safety on campus was and is the district’s top priority. We are strong. #SaugusStrong